NEW YORK FASHION WEEK
September 12th – 14th, 2016
Since I was young I had always dreamed of attending NYFW. There was something about models gracefully moving to the beat of the music down the runway, social talk about upcoming trending pieces, detailed embellishments, and striking lighting effects that appealed to my love for runway fashion.
Since I am conveniently located near New York City, I knew I was not going to miss out on attending one of the biggest fashion events of the year. I had three days off giving me just enough time to try and pull some strings into some shows.
Let me just start by saying that I never had an official ticket to any of the shows I attended. To actually get an invitation to shows, you have to know an insider, be a celebrity, or associated with the media or press.
Well as of September 11th, 2016 I had zero connections affiliated with New York Fashion Week, so I had to figure out my next plan if I really wanted to attend maybe, possibly, just one show.
So, I decided to dress up in my best attire, went into the city solo since my friends were not interested in attending any shows, and hung out around several venue locations. I connected with other fashion lovers, including famous photographers. One thing led to another and I talked my way into some shows. I tried to get into as many shows as possible, but there was also a very strict guest list and I got turned away a few times.
When I did get a guest ticket, I sometimes had a standing position, and other times I was front row able to capture some of the best footage (minus having a crappy Iphone6 camera that I need to upgrade like yesterday).
I met so many fashion icons and new friends throughout my three day fashion frenzy. I idolized over some of my favorite models today including: Bella Hadid, Jasmine Tookes, Jasmine Sanders, Romee Stridj, Winnie Harlow, Gigi Hadid, Taylor Hill, Martha Hunt, and Josephine Skriver.
Seven shows and three days later I attended:
♦ Donna Karen – DKNY
♦ Chiari Boni Le Petite Robe
♦ Miguel Vieira
♦ Zang Toi
♦ Xuly Bët
♦ Naeem Kahn
♦ Bibhu Mohapatra
Naeem Kahn has designed dresses for Michelle Obama, Catherine Middleton, Carrie Underwood, Stacy Keebler, Emily Blunt, and other top name celebrities. I would have to say his collection was one of my favorites as it poised elegance and class.
Another one of my favorite designers was Bibhu Mohapatra, who has been seen on Frieda Pinto, Tracee Ellis Ross, Jennifer Lopez, and Lupita Nyong’o. He presented a classy take on art with detailed embellishments sparkling its way down the runway.
The best part about attending a variety of shows was every designer sent something completely different versus another designer. Every show had its own flavor and thats what I love about fashion in general because it is always changing and evolving. I could totally see myself wearing a clothing piece from every collection and it would be an honor to have that privilege one day.
What I took away from NYFW:
- Bring an extra pair of flats because your heels are going to kill your feet. Having a larger purse to put shoes in saved me.
- I thought I had style until I arrived at NWFW. I was surrounded by outrageous trends and flashy pieces. You will see IT ALL and become inspired. My best tip is to wear YOUR style whether it be classy, edgy, boho-chic, or whatever your mood is that day.
- Eat before the show. Pack snacks in your bag and eat between shows or you may or may not start to feel like a model.
- Shows are MAYBE only 10-20…minutes….long. I wanted MORE, MORE, MORE!
- Network and connect with people who have the same passions as you. You may find others are trying to reach similar goals. You can help push one another in reaching each others dreams.
- There were celebrities all around me, but I tend to be oblivious. I spied Anna Wintour sitting in front of me and Jasmine Sanders standing to next to me. Anna Wintour is a legendary fashion queen so it was so amazing to see her up close. I also learned she wears sunglasses to block out flashing paparazzi cameras. You may never know who is standing next to you so be on the lookout.
Moral of my New York Fashion Week story:
I desperately wanted to attend New York Fashion Week so I made it happen with no set plan. I do not have a lot of people that have the same work schedule, or passion for fashion as do I so I knew I had to go after this alone. Sometimes I work better alone anyways because it forces me to socialize and put myself out there. I knew going into these events I did not have tickets, but I made it work and made it a priority to network with inspirational/influential people. When you are going after something you are truly passionate about in life, you have to go after it head on without the fear of rejection. The worst someone can tell you is NO, right? Might as well try, and then try again and again and again.
I am so blessed to have met and learned so much from new friends and people I have always looked up to. I can only hope and dream I will be fortunate enough to be invited to more shows in the future as I have been bit by the NYFW bug.
The video I have created below is to give you a little flavor of what it is like to attend New York Fashion Week. I combined all of my videos together in order to make you feel apart of the show as well. I hope every fashion lover has the opportunity to be apart of this amazing week long event one day. Enjoy!