If you ever want to take a trip outside of Frankfurt, Germany, I suggest taking a day trip to Heidelberg, Germany. Here, you can visit a stunning pink castle atop the hills of Heidelberg. En route to Heidelberg, you will view beautiful German scenic nature and have time to plan your day trip in this quaint little city.
- Take a one hour direct train ride (We took the ICE train) out of Frankfurt Am Main to Heidelberg Hauptbahnhof.
- From Heidelberg Hauptbahnhof, take bus line 33 to the stop Rathaus/Bergbahn Heidelberg.
- Take the Rathaus/Bergbahn (funicular railway) to Schloss (Palace) station, or you can walk. You will then follow the signs to the Heidelberg castle.
- Roundtrip train ride from Frankfurt to Heidelberg – around €40 depending on time of day
- Bus line 33 – €3-7
- Heidelberg Castle entrance fee- €7
Total travel time – Around 1.5 hours
Be sure to walk around Heidelberg and grab a bite to eat at one of the local cafes. Adventure to the well-known bridge, snap some photos of the castle from a distance, and roam around the beautiful streets of Heidelberg, Germany