I started off my trip with a rejection from an UBER driver when I arrived to Lisbon airport. After requesting a second ride, I ended up with the same driver and little did I know he was going to make a huge impact on my trip to Portugal. Was it meant to be?
If you’ve ever gotten to your final destination and had a taxi driver try to sell you something as you go to your hotel then you can understand my, “Not today man” attitude with a kind gesture of accepting the brochure; And telling them you’ll think about it. Well, I did that with Mr. António Cavaco.
I only contemplated doing a private tour with him because I generally like to explore on my own and discover cities without a plan. But rather than push his tour and semi-expensive offer away, I agreed to his tour. And it was THE best decision I have made since I decided to stop being a vegetarian.
I decided to do a private tour with António, aka Hugo Boss, who not only showed me Lisbon and Sintra, but he was my patient photographer who wore his Prada shoes in the sand and cobbled streets. His shoes were probably Payless Shoes after I was done with him. He did not know what he was getting himself into when I told him he was going to have to take my pictures since I traveled solo. I would like to say this was a trade off—”I pay you to tell me history and take my photos, and I’ll keep you company.” I think António would beg to differ though.
When I would ask him to take my over the top photos, he would call me, “muito chato” , translating into “very annoying”. It was all love though… I think.
António Cavaco is a native from Lisbon, Portugal. He left Lisbon for 30 years to explore the world by working on a cruise ship. There is not one place I do not think he has been. He enlightened me with stories and it was interesting to hear everything he has accomplished in life. When he returned to Lisbon, he pursued the tour guide business. António operates privately giving you more of a personal and authentic experience versus being in a large group with strangers.
For bookings call (+351) 96-585-53-24 (he also has WhatsApp)
MIN (2) pax / MAX (4) pax per vehicle
Lisbon City Tour
Full day – €135 / Half day €85
Crossing 25th April Bridge, Cristo Rei, Jerónimos Monastery, Pastéis de Belém, Monument to the Discoveries, Commerce Square, Rua Augusta Arch, Alfama District, Bairro Alto District, Chiado District, Miradouros, São Jorge Castle, Park of the Nations
Full day – €190 / Half day € 110
Palace of Queluz, Sintra, Fonte Mourisca, National Palace of Sintra, Quinta da Regaleira, Palace of Seteais, Palace of Monserrat, Azenhas do Mar Beach, Cape of Roca, Boca do Inferno Cape, Cascais Village, Estoril District, Casino Estoril
Oporto City Tour
Full Day – €400
Évora City Tour
Full day – €285
Full day – €265
Shrine of Fatima, Batalha Monastery, Nazarré Beach, Óbido’s Village
Full Day – €150
Historic Hotel in Palmela’s Castle, Bacalhôa – Wines of Portugal, Arrábida Mountain, Portinho da Arrábida Beach, Sesimbra Village, Cape Espichel
Reasons to book António as your next tour guide:
- He speaks 5 languages including English, so you may not have to worry about the language barrier.
- He is quite the character and has a personality unlike anyone you will ever meet.
- He is super witty and sarcastic sure to make your trip extra amusing. He is also genuine and humble so you will be in good hands.
- He has traveled around the world on cruise ships for 30 years so he can talk to you about anything, or give you many reasons to travel to other far away dreamy places.
- He loves the rapper Migos and is open to all music.
- He will take you to some of the best food spots in Lisbon and help you decide what to eat. He caught on right away of how much of a not-so-daring eater I am so he discovered what I liked very quickly.
- He can suggest the best wines to try in Portugal and you will not be disappointed.
- He has the energy of a 20 year old.
- He has WhatsApp as well, so he is easily reachable.
- His clients return back to him. This was my second tour with him and usually I do not like people so that is saying a lot.
- And last, he will give you one of the best experiences you can ever have by letting him show you his country. He understands his clients and always wants to make sure you are comfortable and enjoying your time. He truly loves his country and your experience will be unlike any other place you have been. You will never meet another António. He will leave you with a burning desire to visit Portugal again one day!